Frequently Asked Questions

  • General Info

    How do I contact you?


    Office of the Treasurer

    Merchant Services

    615 W. 131 Street, Floor 3
    New York, NY 10027

    Submit a request using ServiceNow


  • Credit Cards
    General CC Info
  • Risk Management
    General Info

    Risk Management

    Who should have a record of medical malpractice? Where should medical malpractice requests be sent?

    If you need to confirm that a medical malpractice claim was filed against a particular individual please proceed as follows:  

    1.  Go to This is a database used to record lawsuits filed electronically in the State of New York.  

    2.  If the individual was employed by New York Presbyterian Hospital write to

    3.  Ask the applicant to confirm if they ever had a lawsuit filed against them.

    4.  Use the services of a professional company to research your inquiry. 

    Columbia University Risk Management Department


    What should I do if someone wants to give me a summons, complaint, demand letter or a government agency action notice?

    Departments should not accept receipt of any summons and/or complaints, demand letters, or government agency action notice. Any person trying to serve these documents should immediately be directed to Columbia University's Office of General Counsel (OGC). OGC is the only department at Columbia University that is permitted to sign and receive these documents; however, if an employee is served, signs, and accepts receipt of one of these types of documents, the materials must immediately be forwarded to OGC:

    Columbia University Office of General Counsel

    412 Low Library

    535 W 116 Street

    New York, NY 10027

    T. (212) 854-4974

    Fax (212) 749-4404


    How do I put in a claim for personal property that has been stolen at work?

    The University provides no reimbursement for the damage and/or loss of personal property owned by individuals, students, faculty, staff, administrators, or others. The University's complete Property Loss/Damage Reporting & Reimbursement Policy and procedure are posted online in the Administrative Policy Library:


    What do we do if a Columbia computer (or peripheral) has been stolen?

    The Risk Management Department and/or University’s insurers will reimburse an affected department, less any offsets or unallowable expenses, for direct and indirect damages incurred as a result of a loss to computer hardware, software, and peripherals after the department has satisfied the standard deductible. The department must obtain an identical unit or, if no longer available, a functionally equivalent replacement unit, including commercially available software pre-loaded plus any other commercially available software also installed on the machine. There will be no reimbursement for costs to recover electronic data or custom software, nor will there be reimbursement for any service contract(s) or delivery charge(s). The University's complete Property Loss/Damage Reporting & Reimbursement Policy and procedure are posted online in the Administrative Policy Library.



  • ISOS
    International SOS

    What is the role of International SOS?

    International SOS provides you with worldwide quality health care and emergency assistance services 24 hours a day designed to supplement and integrate with Columbia University services, procedures and policies. You should always attempt to contact Columbia University emergency contacts at your school/department first, who will advise you in case of an emergency. If they are not available and you need immediate assistance then proceed to contact International SOS.

    How can International SOS help?

    International SOS is available to provide assistance to Columbia travelers when something unexpected occurs. One phone call connects you to the International SOS network of multilingual specialists for immediate help in an emergency. International SOS services are designed to help you with medical, personal, travel, security information and legal referrals when away from home. Call International SOS at any time to speak with a physician or security specialist about simple or critical matters.

    How does it work?

    Carry the International SOS membership card with you at all times. It includes the telephone numbers of the three major worldwide International SOS Alarm Centers. In the event of an emergency, call one of the emergency phone numbers listed on the card.

    What do I need to do to use the program?

    In order to utilize any of the medical or travel services listed under contract, call any ISOS Alarm Center from anywhere in the world by calling directly, calling collect, or calling the toll-free number. To ensure a prompt response when calling, you should be prepared to provide the following:

    • Your name, location, age, sex, and nationality
    • The school/department with which you are associated (for example, student in FAS Study Abroad Program in France)
    • Your International SOS membership number: (Found on your ISOS card)
    • The telephone number from which you are calling (in case you are disconnected)
    • Your relationship to the member (if the person calling is not yourself.)
    • Name, location, and telephone number of the hospital or clinic (when applicable)
    • Name, location, and telephone number for the treating doctor, and where the doctor can be reached (when applicable)

    What if I have pre-trip questions about my travel destination or questions about the current status in that location?

    In addition to calling the Alarm Center for any pre-trip questions you may have, you can access Country and Security Guides from this website Use your membership number as your member login. In addition to the information covered at the Pre-Departure Sessions and On-Site orientation conducted by your program, the ISOS comprehensive guides provide both medical, security and general travel advice, such as information on the standard of health care, how to pay for medical care, the availability of medications, safety of the blood supply, embassy/visa information, dialing code information, cultural etiquette and financial and voltage/plug information.

    Do I need to activate my membership?

    No, your membership is already active. Simply carry the card at all times while traveling. Whenever you need service, contact one of the emergency phone numbers listed on the back of the card. You do not need to report specific trip dates to International SOS each time you travel. However, you can create a personal on-line account with ISOS into which you can save medical, family and emergency information. Unless you input your information into an account it will not be available for staff in the event of an emergency. Medical and personal information can only be accessed by an ISOS doctor.

    What are Email Alerts?

    You have the option to sign up for Email Alerts. You can choose to sign up for medical and/or security alerts by logging on and signing up. Medical alerts are issued when there is an unusual health risk that, in the opinion of the ISOS Medical staff, may negatively impact travelers or expatriates visiting a country. Security alerts are issued when ISOS Security professionals have identified a security risk in a specific country.

    What if I need a doctor or a dentist?

    Call the International SOS Alarm Center listed on the back of your card. International SOS will help provide a referral for a doctor or dentist nearest to you. You can also ask to speak to a doctor or dentist who speaks your native language to discuss simple or critical matters.

    What if I need a lawyer while overseas?

    Call the nearest International SOS Alarm Center for legal referrals. If you are in a situation where you require legal assistance, on-site staff should be informed of this immediately.

    What if I need prescription medication?

    If you require a prescription that a local physician cannot obtain, or you need to replace lost, stolen or depleted medication, International SOS will, when permissible by local law, send the needed medication to you (additional fees may apply).

    What if I am hospitalized?

    In most cases, Columbia University staff should be able to assist you via our on-call emergency staff. However, if you are in a situation or location where you cannot reach Columbia staff, call the nearest International SOS Alarm Center. International SOS will immediately take steps to evaluate the care you are receiving and determine what actions must be taken to ensure your safe and speedy recovery. ISOS will notify Columbia University staff immediately if you have not already done so.

    What if local medical facilities are not adequate for my specific requirements?

    If you are hospitalized in an area where adequate medical facilities are not available, International SOS will obtain approval from Columbia University to evacuate you to a medical facility capable of providing the required care. A physician supervises evacuations, and when necessary, a medical specialist or nurse will accompany you during the evacuation. An air ambulance will be used when required.

    What happens when I am released from the hospital and still need help?

    When your condition is stabilized and International SOS has determined that it is medically advisable to bring you home or to a facility near your permanent residence, International SOS will again obtain approval from Columbia University and arrange the repatriation under medical supervision.

    Will International SOS pay my medical bills?

    If you are unable to arrange for payment of medical expenses at the time of service, International SOS will guarantee and pre-pay all costs associated with your medical care. You are ultimately responsible for the costs of medical care, and will be billed at a later date. This is why you are required to have personal health insurance. International SOS will also medically monitor and evaluate your condition and ongoing medical expenses during your hospitalization. In situations where medical care is critical, by activating ISOS, you authorize medical care as necessary and acknowledge that you will be billed for such care.

    How can International SOS assist in the event of death?

    International SOS will render all assistance possible to the Columbia traveler to obtain clearances and arrange transportation for the return of mortal remains. In such an event, Columbia University will be the point of contact for the family in this situation.

    What should I do in the event of a security emergency?

    Call an alarm center listed on the back of your membership card, and a security specialist will assist you.

    What is security evacuation assistance and coordination?

    The ISOS Security Division will assist Columbia University in the event of threatening situations such as civil and/or political unrest, insurrections, revolution or similar situations by providing information, guidance and resources in the event personal safety and security can no longer be assured.