USING THE P-CARD
Once a P-Cardholder has been trained and has activated his/her P-Card, the P-Cardholder may utilize the P-Card to make purchases as authorized by his/her department.
Purchases may be made in-person, over the telephone or online. When making a purchase, the P-Cardholder should always advise the merchant that the University is sales tax exempt (where applicable) and should always obtain a receipt for the transaction. Sales Tax Exempt forms may be obtained from the Finance Service Center. Please refer to Appendix A in the P-Card Policy for items that cannot be purchased using the P-Card.
The Cardholder is the only person authorized to use the P-Card issued to him or her. All transactions on the P-Card are the responsibility of the Cardholder.
Prior to making a P-Card Purchase take the following steps:
- Determine whether the P-Card is the appropriate method for that purchase. Please refer to the PurchasingGuide and the
P-Card Policies to determine the appropriate method..
- Determine if there is a University-wide Preferred Vendor (UwPA) that can be used for this purchase
- Obtain departmental authorization
- Determine if the purchase is tax-exempt. View Sales Tax Policy
P-CARD RECONCILIATION AND APPROVAL WORKFLOW
- P-Cardholder uses P-Card to make a University-authorized purchase.
- Within 4-7 days after the purchase, transaction will be available in ARC for reconciliation. P-Cardholder (or Reconciler) should verify the items have been received and should match the receipt to the information posted in ARC. P-Cardholder should provide comments as necessary and update distribution as necessary. Finally, P-Cardholder should confirm acceptance of the transaction by changing the status of the transaction from “staged” to “verified”.
- P-Card transaction receipts are filed centrally within each department. (Receipts are scanned and attached in ARC for all food and local hotel transactions)
- Once the P-Cardholder has placed a transaction in the “verified” status, the Approver may approve the transaction. The Approver reviews comments, receipt and distribution. Note: When approving transactions, the Approver should not approve any transactions with Budget or Chartfield Errors. If transactions are placed in the "approved" status with errors, the transactions will not post to the Financials. All errors must be corrected before approving.
- All approved P-Card transactions will post nightly to the Financials.