The IRS has released the new 2018 Form W-4, Employee’s Allowance Certificate and an updated tax withholding calculator on the IRS.gov website. As a reminder, the Form W-4 determines the amount of federal income tax that is withheld from your paycheck.
What Does This Mean?
Due to changes in the federal tax rates and tax code, you may wish to use the Form W-4 and updated tax withholding calculator to review your personal tax situation and ensure you are having sufficient amounts withheld from future paychecks. For more information on the changes under the new tax law and how to use the withholding calculator, visit the IRS website.
Do I have to complete a new Form W-4?
No. If you do not want to make any changes to your withholding for future paychecks, no action is necessary.
How do I make changes to my withholding?
To update your individual federal withholding, log in to MyColumbia and follow these steps:
- Go to the “Faculty and Staff” page.
- Under “Self-Service”, click on “View Your Tax Information”.
- You will see your current W-4 tax information, and from this page can make changes, as needed.
- Note: you are required to use Duo, a Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) tool, to verify your identity prior to gaining access to this information. If this is your first time using Duo at Columbia, please follow these steps for information and guidance:
- 1) Go to the CUIT website.
- 2) Under “Popular Services”, click on “Manage My UNI".
- 3) Under “Related Resources” at the bottom of the page, click on “Multifactor Authentication (MFA)”.
Where do I go if I have questions?
If you have questions on how to make changes to your tax withholding, please contact the HR Service Center at 212-851-2888 or online. Please note that the Service Center is unable to answer any personal questions on taxation or amounts that an individual should have withheld. Employees should seek advice from a tax professional on these matters.