Subsciptions, Memberships, and Dues

The University prefers to pay directly for subscriptions, dues, and memberships to professional journals and associations that promote continuing education related to an employee’s duties, where possible.  However, the University will reimburse employees for these expenses.

When subscriptions, memberships & dues include an optional contribution or donation, the University does not reimburse for this expense.

The University does not reimburse for memberships in:

  • airline clubs
  • country clubs
  • civic clubs
  • gyms

An exception for reimbursement, approved by a Dean, VP, Associate Dean or Senior Financial Officer would be requested only when the University’s continuing need for membership can be clearly demonstrated. The club’s membership criteria must be consistent with the University’s non-discrimination policy, as the University prohibits reimbursement of expenses for meetings or entertainment in clubs where membership or admission is restricted on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, citizenship status, marital status, disability, or status as a Vietnam era or disabled veteran. Every effort should be made to share memberships in order to avoid duplicate fees. All memberships should be associated with the employee’s business address as further documentation that the membership is business related. When requesting reimbursement for membership fees on an Expense Report, indicate the percentage of the business-related use of the club. The University must report the percentage of the reimbursement that is not business-related as taxable income to the employee.

Documentation Required

The invoice, receipt, or web confirmation must be obtained and submitted with the employee’s expense report.  The receipt must include:

  • the date
  • the type of subscription, membership, dues
  • the total amount
  • proof of payment

If granted an exception, the cost of memberships in airline, country, or civic clubs or gyms may not be charged to a sponsored project account and must be segregated to the appropriate ARC account.