Local Legal Counsel and Other Experts

It is often necessary to consult with local resources and experts in the host country when planning and implementing a long-term activity, especially when it will require opening an office. The University often consults local experts on:

→ Host country licenses or other governmental permissions required for the planned scope

→ Host country labor laws, employer registrations, employee benefits and other human resource practices and requirements

→ Work permits and Visas

→ Guidance on Income and other taxes

→ Wind-down and exit (Close-out)

→ Hidden costs

Only the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) may retain outside lawyers or law firms to represent the University or any School, Department or other unit. In some instances, operations also require accountants and human resources consultants. The offices of the Controller and Human Resources should be consulted before accountants and HR external experts are retained.

For Questions Contact

If you can't find what you

need, have questions or

feedback, email us at:

Related Links