Arranging for Travel

It is suggested that a traveler make arrangements for travel through either a University-designated travel agency or a University preferred vendor.  There are numerous advantages to using a University preferred agency.  These agencies are aware of University travel policies and reimbursement guidelines and will help select air carriers and hotels that conform to the policy, which speeds up reimbursement.  Furthermore, these agencies often have access to discounts and preferential rates negotiated by the University.  Finally, the agencies can help access and maintain the appropriate documentation of expenses. 

See the Procurement Services Purchasing Guide for the latest list of Preferred Travel Agencies


Please note that all travel agencies charge a per transaction service fee for ticket issuance.


If traveling to a group meeting or conference, inform the University-designated travel agency about any available discount air and hotel rates offered by the conference or association meeting. If the travel agency is restricted from booking at the special discount rate, the agent will inform the traveler how to make the booking.


Travelers may elect to use a travel agency outside of the preferred list of University agencies.  The University will reimburse the traveler for any agency fees provided those fees are substantiated on an original receipt from the agency.  When booking a trip through a non-University preferred agency, the traveler must take responsibility for selecting arrangements that comply with University policy and spending guidelines.


Travelers are also encouraged to make travel arrangements directly with the supplier via the Internet to acquire low rates.


Tax-Exempt Status


The University is a tax-exempt organization and individuals should request that tax not be collected.  Unfortunately, the travel industry (e.g., airlines, rail, hotel, car rental, etc.) frequently will not recognize this status and insist that taxes be paid.  In these instances, the employee will be reimbursed for the taxes paid.  If the supplier requests a tax-exemption certificate, it can be obtained from Accounts Payable.