If a vendor requests to have direct deposit payments (as opposed to paper checks) the vendor should complete and submit a direct deposit form, available below. Please be aware that there is a difference between wire transfers and direct deposits.If you have an issue with a payment that was processed via Direct Deposit, please contact the Finance Service Center by either using the Service Center Incident Form or by calling (212) 854-2122.

For information regarding the setting up of Direct Deposit information on an AP Vendor, please contact the Vendor Management team at