Insurance and Risk Management FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Medical Malpractice
  2. Summons, Complain, Demand Letter, etc.
  3. Pre-suit Letter Seeking Consideration
  4. Theft or Disappearance of Personal Property
  5. Computers and Peripherals
  6. Permission to film on Columbia University property (third parties, non-students)


Medical Malpractice                                                                                   

Healthcare professionals must have a verifiable record of previous medical malpractice insurance be credentialed at a new institution.  Medical malpractice requests should not be addressed to Columbia University Risk Management in the Office of the Treasurer.  This information can be obtained from New York-Presbyterian Hospital:

NYPH Legal Affairs & Risk Mgmt

622 W 168 Street, PH 2W

New York, NY 10032

T. (212) 305-1919  /  F. (212) 305-3686


Summons, Complaint, Demand Letter, etc.

Departments should not accept receipt of any summons and/or complains, demand letters, or government agency action notice.  Any person trying to serve these documents should immediately be directed to Columbia University's Office of General Counsel (OGC).  OGC is the only department at Columbia University is permitted to sign and receive these documents; however, if an employee is served, signs, and accepts receipt of one of these types of documents, the materials must immediately be forwarded to OGC:

Columbia University Office of General Counsel

412 Low Library

535 W 116 Street

New York, NY 10027

T. (212) 854-4974


Pre-Suit Letter Seeking Consideration                                                                                   

The Risk Management Department has retained PMA Management Corp. to handle claims and matters that may give rise to a claim.  Upon receipt of a letter requesting consideration of an alleged incident, a copy should be faxed to PMA, to the attention of DJ Scarfino, at (315) 233-7200; a copy should also be forwarded to the Risk Management at fax number (646) 349-1379 and/or emailed to  PMA will investigate the matter and decide with Risk Management how best to proceed and answer or settle the matter.

Columbia University's third party claim administrator (TPA)

PMA Management Corp.

Attn: DJ Scarfino

T. (315) 251-6257 / F. (315) 233-7200


Theft or Disappearance of Personal Property                                                                          

The University provides no reimbursement for the damage and/or loss of personal property owned by individuals, students, faculty, staff, administrators, or others.  The University's complete Property Loss/Damage Reporting & Reimbursement Policy and procedure are posted online in the Administrative Policy Library:


Computers and Peripherals                                                                                                       

The Risk Management Department and/or University’s insurers will reimburse an impacted department, less any offsets or unallowable expenses, for direct and indirect damages incurred as a result of a loss to computer hardware, software, and peripherals after the department has satisfied the standard deductible.  The department must obtain an identical unit or, if no longer available, a functionally equivalent replacement unit, including commercially available software pre-loaded plus any other commercially available software also installed on the machine.  There will be no reimbursement for costs to recover electronic data or custom software, nor will there be reimbursement for any service contract(s) or delivery charge(s).  The University's complete Property Loss/Damage Reporting & Reimbursement Policy and procedure are posted online in the Administrative Policy Library:


Permission to Film on Columbia University Property

If you are a third-party interested in filming or photographing on property owned by Columbia University, including our Morningside campus, please review the following two policies:

1) Access to University Facilities for non-affiliates

2) Commercial Filming: News, documentaries, and non-CU students


You may also contact the Office of University Event Management:

Columbia University Event Management

Lerner Hall, Floor 7

2920 Broadway

New York, NY 10027

T. (212) 854-5800


If you are a Columbia University student interested in filming or photographing on property owned by the University, please discuss your needs with a professor or administrator at School of the Arts.

If you have questions or a comment for Risk Management, please email