Treasury's Capital Planning group is primarily responsible for the management of Columbia's debt portfolio, compliance with IRS regulations and debt covenants, and strategic financing of capital projects.
Goals and Functions
- Develops University debt strategy to help finance construction and renovation of capital projects;
- Coordinates University borrowing activities, including both tax-exempt and taxable debt issuances;
- Manages University’s relationships with credit rating agencies and public authority conduit issuers, principally the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York;
- Ensures compliance with debt-related covenants and IRS requirements, i.e. continuing disclosure and post-issuance compliance;
- Manages reimbursement of eligible project expenditures with tax-exempt bond proceeds in accordance with IRS rules;
- Arranges payment of principal, interest, and debt-related fees;
- Ensures adequate liquidity coverage to support debt portfolio, including securing lines of credit.